Director of Culinary (RELO OFFERED!)- Georgetown, TX
Driven by our passion in the pursuit of hospitality and culinary excellence, Morrison Living has built community through dining experiences for over a century. Embedded in our culture, we deliver exceptional service and aim to be the best part of someone’s day. The commitment of our team members to these core principles makes us an industry leader and an employer of choice for hospitality professionals.
Everything we do means more when it’s served with care. The exceptional care and culinary artistry of our team members is nurtured by training, developing, and recognizing our greatest asset – our people. This approach makes the Morrison Living difference. Join us and discover how we build community one meal at a time.
The Director of Dining Services is the strategic business leader of the community’s food and beverage/culinary operation ensuring resident and client satisfaction by providing a consistently high-quality product and best-in-class hospitality, while also meeting financial goals and driving a positive work environment. You will oversee the development and implementation of departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the Compass Community Living’s service strategy as well as be the face of the company.
Leading Food & Beverage Operation:
- Develop and implement overall operating strategy that is aligned with the Compass Community Living and client business strategy, disseminates the vision within the community so all team members understand expectations.
- Must have an entrepreneurial approach and take full ownership of driving desired outcomes as if the business owner and hold the on-site leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
- Ability to quickly evaluate personnel, operations, and culinary situations and make appropriate recommendations to person(s) involved.
- Maintain a professional and positive demeanor with a high level of resilience during stressful periods, have an ability to adapt and problem solve when required.
- Perform daily walk-through to ensure full compliance with Department of Health regulations and Compass Group standards.
- Directs and conducts safety, sanitation, and maintenance programs.
- Ensures that regular, ongoing communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage by leading pre-meal briefings and staff meetings.
- Advise and update the executives, supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
Business and Financial Competence:
- Understanding market dynamics, enterprise level objectives and important aspects of Compass Community Living’s business to accurately diagnose strengths and weaknesses, anticipate opportunities and risks, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions to drive business results.
- Capability to recognize and understand P&L drivers for the purpose of analyzing and evaluating results, identifying opportunities, and put plans into action to deliver expected results.
- Develops overall budget and operates the account in accordance with the approved budget, while providing the client with the maximum value for the dollars spent.
- Coaches and supports team to optimally manage wages, food & beverage cost, and controllable expenses (e.g., restaurant supplies, uniforms, etc.)
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how the account is performing against budget.
- Works with team to resolve areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service:
- Understand the client’s business model to prioritize what is most important to their residents.
- Be visible within the community to build and maintain excellent relationships with residents, staff, and other departments within the community to be seen as a member of the client’s management team.
- Review resident satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement, share feedback with all team members to ensure resident and client expectations are met, and take appropriate corrective when needed to deliver desired outcomes.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand resident needs, providing mentorship, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products to meet or exceed resident expectations, generate increased revenue, and ensure client satisfaction.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent service that exceed resident and client satisfaction.
Team Building & Management:
- Regularly lead team member meetings.
- Create a positive work environment by serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors, make each person feel important and motivated to deliver a best-in-class hospitality experience for our residents.
- Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Solicits employee feedback, applies an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others, coach, and mentor team members by providing feedback and training to achieve performance objectives and reach their fullest potential.
- Ability to cross-train abilities for all skills, promotes the professional growth and development of the entire team.
- Ability to find, train, and retain talent starting with behavioral based interviewing.
- Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Empathetic leader while still being able to hold self and team members accountable.
- B.S. Degree in Food Services Technology/Management or related field; or A.A. Degree plus four years of directly related experience preferred.
- Five to seven years of direct foodservice operational management experience with inventory and purchasing knowledge and control.
- Strong knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Previous P&L accountability or contract-managed service experience is desirable.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, management, and coaching skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to communicate on various levels to include management, client, customer, and associate levels.
- Excellent financial, budgetary, accounting, and computational skills
- Proficient computer skills to include various computer programs, Microsoft Office programs, e-mail, and the Internet.
- ServSafe® Certified
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history (including relevant driving history), in a manner consistent with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York Fair Chance Act. We encourage applicants with a criminal history (and driving history) to apply.